Search and Hit Enter

Saudi Arabia says it was prepared to help Iran tanker reportedly hit by blasts

Saudi Arabia said Saturday it was ready to help the Iranian tanker that was allegedly attacked off the kingdom’s coast, but the ship turned off its tracking system.

The National Iranian Tanker Company, which owns the Sabiti, said its hull was hit by two separate explosions on Friday off the Saudi port of Jeddah.

But the state-owned company denied reports the attack had originated from Saudi soil.

“An e-mail from the captain of the Iranian tanker Sabiti was received saying the front of the vessel had been broken, resulting in an oil spill,” the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) said quoting the border guard.

“After analyzing the information by the coordination center with the aim to provide any necessary assistance… [the ship] shut off its tracking system without responding to the center’s calls,” it said.

Saudi Arabia, it said, was committed to the security and safety of navigation and international maritime laws.

On Saturday Iran vowed not to let the attack against the Sabiti go unanswered.